Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Little America, My Home

Well, I just took my second shower at my house. Fixed the small leaks with the sink and shower and now I am good to go with my 500L tank. Running water is amazing. I certainly appreciate it more here than I ever did in the states.

At this point, my house is feeling a bit like home. I look forward to coming back to it when I am traveling around the country. My neighbors always give me warm greetings and the people in town when I get off the taxi are slowly learning my name (or at least that my name is not “white man” or mundo). Right now I am sitting at my new desk in my room with the light on and my lovely solar fan keeping me cool. I guess you could say I have my own small version of America set up here.

It is already time for mid-terms! I just finished covering vectors. Some students are really getting it but there are still many students who cannot explain what a vector is. When talking with other teachers and PCVs, the best advice I seem to get is to be the best teacher I can to those who learn. I want to motive everyone to learn, but it is not easy to motivate the students and if I try too hard to keep the students interested I will find myself not covering any material. We will see how things go; I have hope and I hear that is a good place to start.

6 comments:

  1. It's still too bad you couldn't make your sink double as a desk. It sure would have been a lot more functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark! I love hearing about you man. Keep up the good work. I'm so jealous. Maybe someday I'll run into you teaching foreign kids someplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark you're house sounds great! Glad you are settling into site and enjoying your time. I feel for your kids - vectors/math was never my strong suit. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do we get the pics of the house yo? Also why is talking to pipes the same as teachers? You're freaking me out man... jk love you dude!

    PS: pipes = PVC... looks like PCV... bad joke. anyone reading this comment will be confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mundo Bubu,
    Keep movimg in a positive direction w/ even higher magnitude.
    We miss ya,
    Pa
    P.S. Praise Him for agua, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear, Mark... glad you're able to enjoy a couple amenities we take for granted back here.

    By the way, someone once told me that as a teacher I am responsible to cause my students to learn and that I exist to serve them. They also said that I should judge my success by the success of my students.

    Anyway, praying for you and we miss you around here!

    ReplyDelete